Wirt Rowland – A Short Biography
By Michael G. Smith with Dale Carlson / Photos by Dale Carlson & Michael G. Smith
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
“….Wirt Rowland, he reached out, rather than looking back….A lot of architects, their work….referred to something. Well, Wirt Rowland was departing. He had a background of classical work, and he was revolutionary in his ideas and his effort….You take the color he used in the Guardian….Architects didn’t use color!” ~Corrado Parducci
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Downtown Detroit’s skyline first came of age in the 1910s and 20s, and of the city’s many skyscraper architects active during that time none exerted more influence upon it than native Michigander Wirt Rowland, designer of the Buhl, Greater Penobscot and Guardian Buildings.
Rowland, born in 1878, grew up in the southeast Michigan village of Clinton, in Lenawee County, where his father worked as an engineer in the local woolen mill. At the age of eight, an illustrated article about England’s Lambeth Castle in Harper’s Magazine caught Rowland’s eye and inspired him to become an architect.
Lacking the resources to pursue formal training, Rowland, in 1901, began his architecture career as an apprentice draftsman in the offices of Rogers and MacFarlane, moving the following year to theGeorge D. Mason, both among Detroit’s leading architectural firms of the day. Under Mason’s tutelage, Rowland’s skills developed rapidly and he was soon promoted to designer. While employed at Mason’s firm, Rowland played an important role in the development of Detroit’s original Pontchartrain Hotel, built in 1907 and formerly located on the southeast corner of Campus Martius.
After nearly nine years with Mason, Rowland left in 1909 to work for Albert Kahn and Ernest Wilby. Kahn & Wilby’s design and engineering firm had become the largest in Detroit with responsibility for many projects throughout the nation. Much of the firm’s work was industrial in nature as Kahn’s brother Julius, the firm’s Chief Engineer, had developed the revolutionary “Kahn System” for steel reinforced concrete buildings. Rowland, however, was afforded the great opportunity
Armed with laudatory letters of recommendation from both Mason and Kahn (see photos #2 and #3 in the album), Rowland was accepted to and attended Harvard University’s Graduate School of Architecture from the fall of 1910 through the spring of 1911. Rowland returned to Detroit with a deeper understanding of architectural history and the latest trends in the field. His design skills were in demand.
Malcomson & Higginbotham to assist in preparing the firm’s design proposal for the new Detroit Public Library. Malcomson, Higginbotham and Rowland’s entry was runner-up to the design presented by Woolworth Building and U.S. Supreme Court Building architect Cass Gilbert. At nearly the same time, Rowland’s proposed design for Detroit’s Northwestern High School won
In 1915 Rowland returned to work for Kahn and Wilby, now the world leader in the design of steel reinforced concrete industrial buildings, particularly those built for the manufacturing of automobiles. In 1917 the firm was selected to design structures for the U.S. Army Air CorpsLangley Field in Virginia and Rockwell Field on North Island in San Diego Bay, with senior designer Rowland largely responsible for their aesthetics. To maintain Rockwell Field’s stylistic compatibility with regional tastes, an associate architect, Richard Requa of San Diego, was appointed to work closely with Kahn’s office. Requa was a leading advocate for Spanish, Pueblo and Mission Revival Styles of architecture, popular in the American West and Southwest. His influence upon Rowland is clearly evident in the appearance of these structures. On his own in Langley, Rowland designed numerous
Arthur Malcomson, Marcus Burrowes, C. Howard Crane, John Donaldson, Maxwell Grylls, Augustus O’Dell, William “Buck” Stratton, Stratton’s soon-to-be wife and co-founder of Detroit’s famed Pewabic Pottery Company, Mary Chase Perry, and her close associate and developer of Pewabic Pottery’s “Revelation Kiln”, Horace J. Caulkins. Later, in the 30s, Rowland would also preside over the local chapter of the American Institute of Architects.
Smith, Hinchman and Grylls (SH&G) offered Rowland the position of Chief Designer. Administrators at SH&G shrewdly reasoned that bringing on the city’s top building designer would win the firm larger and more
Rowland designed some of Detroit’s most important and beautiful buildings and established a national reputation during his eight years with SH&G. He is best known as the architect of four superlativeBankers Trust Company (1925), Buhl (1925), Greater Penobscot (1928), and “Union Trust” Guardian (1929) Buildings.
The Bankers Trust Company Building, though only two stories tall, is one of the city’s most delightful structures. Here Rowland dispensed with the typical classically columned bank theme, using instead ornately decorated arches and an entrance set on an angle. The building is welcoming, light and cheerful, and decorated extensively in cost-effective terracotta sculpture.
Greater Penobscot Building is also an innovative, artistic triumph. Of the building’s many fine design elements, the most captivating is almost certainly the unique series of setbacks between the 37th and 47th floors. Drawing upon his earlier work with Requa, and inspired by the multi-level, cubic, adobe pueblos of Taos and Acoma, Rowland created a tapered pinnacle of stacked cubes with flat roofs and rounded top edges, complete with earth tones and two open bell towers, both signature elements of the Pueblo Revival style.
Guardian Building is widely recognized as Rowland’s masterpiece. Varying colorful motifs on the exterior are continued throughout the interior, resulting in a extraordinarily innovative gestalt quality rarely exhibited by other skyscrapers of the era. As a cost-cutting measure, Rowland chose brick rather than stone for the exterior.
In the wake of the 1929 stock market crash and subsequent depression, demand for new buildings, particularly skyscrapers, vanished. Smith, Hinchman & Gryll’sthe prefabricated “Good Housekeeping / Stran-Steel House” for the 1933 World’s Fair Exhibition in Chicago, Lewis E. Maire Elementary School in Grosse Pointe, two residences in Bloomfield Township, and the Detroit Public Library’s Mark Twain Branch. In the Kirk In The Hills Presbyterian Church in Bloomfield Township, a neo-Gothic design completed by George Mason and constructed in the 1950s.
Rowland died in November of 1946 at the home of a relative in
http://www.villageofclinton.org/wirtrowland.html. The authors also wish to gratefully acknowledge the assistance and generosity of Mary Joann Wallace, administrator of the “Virtual Motor City” photo collection at Wayne State University’s Walter P. Reuther Library, Bloomfield Village Manager Art Atkinson, Mrs. Genevieve Burroughs Baker, administrators of the Burton Historical Collection at the Detroit Public Library, the Harvard Architectural School Alumni Association, and the United States Library of Congress.)
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Above: Detroit’s skyline, circa 1930. Rowland’s work dominates the view from the Detroit River. From left to right: the Buhl Building (1925), behind it the Greater Penobscot Building (1928), the Union Trust Guardian Building (1929), and behind the Boblo Island Park sign, the First National Bank Building (1922).
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
While employed at the firm of George D. Mason (1902-1910): The original Pontchartrain Hotel (1907) on the southeast corner of Campus Martius - Interior and exterior elements.
While employed at the firm of Albert Kahn (1910-1911): Dollar Savings and Trust Building in Wheeling, West Virginia (1910), and Hill Auditorium
While employed at the firm of Malcomson & Higginbotham (1912-1915): Riverside Mortuary Chapel in Clinton, Michigan (1912), Detroit Public Library competition entry (1912), Detroit Northwestern High School (1912), Detroit Northern High School (1915), Detroit Southeastern High School (1915), and twelve Detroit elementary schools, including Clarence M. Burton (1912), Thirkell (1913) and Joyce (1915).
While employed as ‘Chief Designer’ at the firm of Albert Kahn (1918-1922):
While employed as ‘Head of Modern Design’ and ‘Chief Designer’ at Smith, Hinchman & Grylls (1922-1930): The Bankers Trust Company Building (1925) at Shelby and Congress Street, the Buhl Building (1925) at Griswold and Congress Street, the Second National Bank Building (Citizen’s Bank) in Saginaw, Michigan (1925), exterior design of the original six
Buildings designed by Smith, Hinchman & Grylls while Rowland was employed as their ‘Head of Modern Design’ andDavid Mackenzie High School (1927; demolished, 2012) on Wyoming Street just north of Oakman Blvd, the Michigan Bell Telephone Company Building in Traverse City, Michigan (1927), Michigan Bell Telephone Company Buildings in Pontiac, Jackson, Howell, Bad Axe and Eaton Rapids, Michigan (c. 1925-1930), the Tau Beta Association Community
While in partnership with Augustus O’Dell (1930-1938): Residence at 253 Hupp Cross Rd. in Bloomfield Township, Michigan (1930), the “Good Housekeeping / Stran-Steel House” for Chicago World’s Fair Exhibition (1933), Lewis E. Maire Elementary School in Grosse Pointe (1936), Victor C. Vaughn House at the
‘Semi’-retirement: In the mid-1940s Rowland produced preliminary drawings for Kirk in the Hills
(Editor’s note regarding roster of Rowland’s commissions: This list is by no means comprehensive as Rowland had significant to minor involvement in innumerable other projects not noted here.)
♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦ ♦
Click below to peruse our 147-image album and see Rowland’s brilliant 45-year career illustrated with numerous blueprints, letters, diagrams, historic newspaper and magazine clippings and, of course, the gorgeous photography you’ve come to expect from I Love Detroit Michigan. Enjoy!